Skip to main content

About this Show

Erin Burnett Out Front

News/Business. Erin Burnett. (2013)

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

John Boehner 7, Joe 6, South Africa 6, Texas 4, Tyco Integrated Security 4, Egypt 4, Oscar Pistorius 4, New York 3, Washington 3, U.s. 3, George Zimmerman 3, Harry Reid 3, Campbell 3, Celebrex 2, Google 2, America 2, United States 2, Britta 2, Danica 2, California 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Erin Burnett Out Front    News/Business.  
   Erin Burnett.  (2013)  

    February 26, 2013
    8:00 - 9:00pm PST  

8:00pm
the last thing i want for my grandkids is they grow up to be nerds. i'll go by walmart and pick you up a personality. kids in america today are fat, lazy. the last thing i would want is one of them come to me and say, guess what, papaw, i've got herpes. down here in the south you explain the birds and bees to your children via the crayfish. there's their little vagina. takes two to tango. >> oh, papaw. so morrissey is taking a stand as he often does for animal rights. he won't play a concert where meat is sold in the building. and similar parameters for the interviews he does. you requested, demanded that this building, that this be a meat-free environment for the day that you are here. >> yes. >> so if i'm a little woozy right now, it's because i haven't had my bacon. why? why are you so militant about not only like not you having meat but not even seeing meat?
8:01pm
>> because animals are nicer than humans. >> well, i guess that's sometimes true. good thing he doesn't take himself too seriously, this being the colbert report, it did not end there, oh, no. >> what about an animal that's already dead like a cow that's been sentenced to death for a murder? or a pig that commits suicide from listening to too many of your songs? >> you shouldn't laugh at that. >> i know a lamb that's a [ bleep ]. could i eat that lamb? >> no. if you stick your grandmother in an oven, she will probably be tasty, but is that any reason to eat your grandmother? >> you see the hilarity you're missing out on, jimmy kimmel? nothing like a good eating your grandma show to get a come ed show going straight to the ridiculist. thanks for watching. "outfront" starts now.
8:02pm
"outfront" next, democrats blame the republicans. republicans blame the democrats. how speaker john boehner drops an a-bomb. oscar pistorius charged with premeditated murder in the death of his girlfriend. why the case may never go to trial. a hot air balloon accident in egypt. we have dramatic pictures for you tonight. let's go "outfront." good evening. i'm erin burnett. "outfront" or should i say out back tonight, the "a" word. with three days until the forced spending cuts kick in, house speaker john boehner today dropped an a-bomb. >> we have moved a bill in the house twice. we should not have to move a third bill before the senate gets off their -- and begins to do something. >> on the other side of capitol hill, senate majority leader harry reid says it's the republicans' fault.
8:03pm
no buts about it. >> i think he should understand who is sitting on their posterior. we i think he should understand >> well, the president didn't engage in the posterior pow-wow but did play the blame game. >> there are too many republicans in congress right now who refuse to compromise even an inch when it comes to closing tax loopholes and special interest tax breaks. and that's what's holding things up right now. >> "outfront" tonight democratic congressman chris van hollen.
8:04pm
the ranking member of the house budget committee. not every day we get to hear that word used on capitol hill. >> i will put aside the posterior politics right now. other than that, let's get at it. >> the president criticized republicans for their unwillingness to raise taxes in order to reduce the deficit but i wanted to ask you this, because you know the numbers. the tax policy center has said that nearly 80% of american households have gotten a higher federal tax bill because of the fiscal cliff deal you all did at the beginning of the year. why do you want to raise taxes again? >> well, because we want to take a balanced approach. again, we have now cut $1.5 trillion if you look at the spending caps that were imposed as part of the budget control act agreement. then as part of the fiscal cliff agreement which you just referenced, we raised about $600 billion. what we've said is as we go forward, we should use the same model as the bipartisan fiscal
8:05pm
commissions and continue to take that balanced approach. yes, additional cuts in a targeted way, not a senseless way, but also additional revenue from closing those tax loopholes that both presidential candidates, mitt romney and president obama, talked about during the last campaign. they're all still out there. we haven't touched any of those. >> well, just to be fair, mitt romney said he would lower the tax rate in exchange for closing those, and you did limit deductions as part of the federal -- part of the fiscal cliff deal. so let me ask you about that specifically, because this whole tax issue, adam davidson and i quote him every single night so i hope he listens, co-founder of npr's planet money noted in the "new york times" that increasing the middle class tax burden by an additional 8% would have a bigger impact than taxing millionaires at 100% and of course, congressman, leaders of your own party, bill clinton also knows this. here's bill clinton at a conference i was at with him a year ago.
8:06pm
>> i think you could tax me at 100% and you wouldn't balance the budget. we all have to contribute to this. if middle class people's wages were going up again and we had some growth in the economy, i don't think they would object to going back to the tax rates that i obtained when i was president. >> isn't the honest thing to tell the american people if you're going to be raising money by raising taxes that it has to be on more than just a few at the top? >> no, i think the honest thing is to take a balanced approach. i certainly agree with what you just said and with what president clinton said, that you cannot solve this deficit problem simply by asking higher income individuals to pay a whole lot more, because there's just not enough there which is why we've said we need a combination of revenue from closing those tax breaks that disproportionately benefit the very wealthy and mitt romney and paul ryan talked about how they were there. in fact, speaker boehner's proposal just about a couple months ago said he would raise $800 billion from that source, but that's why you have to couple that with cuts.
8:07pm
>> so how do you get there on loopholes by your logic? five of the top ten loopholes, here they are. i will read them out. you know what they are. for any viewers who aren't familiar with all of them in order, mortgage interest deduction, earned income tax credit, employer provided health care, child tax credit, state and local tax deduction and charitable deductions. when you close those, you hurt a lot more than just the wealthy. >> no, what i support is the approach the president has taken in his budgets which i suspect he will present again, which is to say for higher income individuals, we're going to limit the value of all your deductions to 28% so that you're not getting a bigger break, so to speak, for your deductions than middle income tax payers. >> okay. i see your point there. but the problem is as you also say, you can't get there just by doing that. $550 billion over ten years, that's pocket change, right?
8:08pm
you can look at the $1.2 trillion, you're looking at $85 billion a year, less than 2% or just about 2% of the budget. it doesn't -- if you're really looking at making a big difference at numbers that simpson-bowles are saying we need $4 trillion, $5 trillion, i don't see how you get there without raising taxes on everybody if you say taxes are part of the solution. >> well, as i said, i think taxes are part of the solution. i just mentioned one way of getting some of that revenue, but you also need to continue to do the cuts and that's what we're talking about in terms of our overall budget approach, and the president's plan when you take it all together, starting with the cuts we made last year, comes to about $2 to $3 in cuts for every dollar in revenue. >> do you ever have frustration, as someone who has tried to be calm, thoughtful and balanced about this at the fact that the leader of your party, second term president, whatever he's put on the table, has not directly dealt with where the future debt that is drowning
8:09pm
this country is coming from? and by that obviously i'm referring still to things like medicare where, when you look at the out years, that's where the problem seems to lie. are you frustrated that he hasn't come out and told the american people that they're going to be taking a hit there and that he's willing to be the one to deal that hit because he can, because he's a second term president? >> well, i think he has. if you look at the affordable care act, we achieved $715 billion in savings in medicare. >> even with that, we're still looking at this medicare crisis in the out years. >> that's right. that's right. but remember what happened in the last election. our republican colleagues demagogued those important savings which according to the medicare actuary actually extended the life of medicare. in this budget proposal, the president has said that by year ten or 11 he's achieving the same amount of medicare savings per year as projected by simpson-bowles so i think the president has put that on the table. the difference is in approach.
8:10pm
in other words, republicans through their voucher plan want to simply move the costs off the medicare balance sheet and on to the backs of seniors. that's what happens when you provide someone with a voucher that doesn't keep pace with rising health care costs. whereas what we proposed and i think we need to expand on it, is to change the incentives within the medicare system. you have to move away from a strictly fee for service system where nobody has a real incentive to save money, toward one where you reward doctors and providers based on the quality of care. we started doing that with things like the accountable care organizations, but we can build on that. >> congressman, thank you. still "outfront" a civil war in the gop. 75 high profile republicans today break from their party to strike down california's ban on same sex marriage. we'll tell you who they are. plus, we're days away from the pope stepping down and he's about to get a major makeover. a story we have been watching closely. a year after he was shot and killed, a memorial for trayvon martin. actor jamie foxx is there. he's speaking right now to the
8:11pm
people at the memorial. we will be going there in a few minutes. with thermacare heatwraps. thermacare works differently. it's the only wrap with patented heat cells that penetrate deep to relax, soothe, and unlock tight muscles. for up to 16 hours of relief, try thermacare. to relax, soothe, and unlock tight muscles. how sharp is your business security?o! can it help protect your people and property, while keeping out threats to your operations? it's not working! yes it is. welcome to tyco integrated security. with world-class monitoring centers and thousands of qualified technicians. we've got a personal passion to help your business run safer, smarter, and sharper. we are tyco integrated security. and we are sharper. i work for 47 different companies. well, technically i work for one. that company, the united states postal service® works for thousands of home businesses.
8:12pm
because at usps.com® you can pay, print and have your packages picked up for free. i can even drop off free boxes. i wear a lot of hats. well, technically i wear one. the u.s. postal service®, no business too small. by the armful? by the barrelful? the carful? how about...by the bowlful? campbell's soups give you nutrition, energy, and can help you keep a healthy weight. campbell's. it's amazing what soup can do. campbell's. oh, hi thehey!ill. are you in town for another meeting? p, i brought my a-team. vo: business trips add up to family time. this is my family. this is joe. hi joe! hi there! vo: earn a ton of extra points with the double your hhonors promotion and feel the hamptonality.
8:13pm
try e-mail marketing from constantcontact. it's the fastest, easiest way to create great-looking custom e-mails that bring customers through your door. sign up for your free trial today at constantcontact.com/try. try align. it's the number one ge recommended probiotic that helps maintain digestive balance. ♪ stay in the groove with align. this is what it's like... paying full price for a hotel room. and this is what it's like getting a high-end hotel room for 45% off published prices... ... with travelocity's top secret hotels. ooo, tingly.
8:14pm
8:15pm
our second story "outfront" civil war. over same sex marriage. so today, this was a pretty amazing thing. more than 80 high profile republicans signed a brief before the supreme court supporting same sex marriage. among those whose names appeared on this document, jon huntsman, christine todd-whitman and mary cheney, daughter of former vice president dick cheney. is this a sign the gop's opposition to same sex marriage is crumbling? "outfront" tonight cnn contributor and republican strategist anna navarro who signed the brief and tim carney, senior political columnist with the washington examiner. tim, there are big names on this and even people, jon huntsman when he was governor of utah had been in support of civil unions but going in favor of gay marriage is even another further step for someone like him to
8:16pm
take. does this help or hurt the party? >> well, it's actually going even further than just supporting gay marriage. they are saying that a state does not have the right, the voters of a state do not have the right to determine what marriage is but in fact, that the constitution somehow requires it accept gay marriage. i think going that further step, endorsing the federal court action, is what could hurt the party. there's disagreements on gay marriage, the republican party should have disagreements on all sorts of issues. that makes a party stronger. but trying to move it away from the power of what the people vote for and put in the power of the courts, that's harmful. >> by your logic, if people view it as a civil rights issue, if you had states that said even now slavery is okay, people wouldn't be all right with that. they would say that should be legislated at the federal level. this is the same. >> i think very few people would buy into the analogy you're making of it being that perfect between what is the definition of marriage and are we going to treat all human beings as equal. so that's the question. is this a civil rights issue or is this about redefining something that was not created by government.
8:17pm
marriage was not created by government. it's something that was created long ago culturally. is it a civil rights issue, that's at the heart of the question. courts shouldn't be handling that. people should be. for republicans to ask for courts to do it, that's what i think could harm the party. >> anna, obviously a lot of republicans have been coming out and supporting same sex marriage, pun intended, including yourself. you signed this document. but a lot of republican leaders still oppose it. here's a few. >> i believe the institution of marriage as it's traditionally known is between one man and one woman and it should stay that way in new jersey. >> i believe marriage is the union of one man and one woman. >> i believe in the traditional definition of marriage. >> i supported the wisconsin amendment to define marriage between a man and woman. >> has it hurt the republican party that people like you are coming out and saying no, we just don't agree with that? >> i think it absolutely helps the republican party. it is a wholesome party that can have diversity of thought. what i aspire to is a big tent party where i can co-exist with people who hold a different
8:18pm
opinion but we can co-exist with in a realm of respect and mutual values. for me, the republican party is about personal freedoms and for me, personal freedom means being able to have my opinion and being able to have friends who have the same rights as me. we are the party of small government. we can't be the party of small government and yet at the same time want for government to decide who does and does not get married, who they have a right to love. i think we can't be on the wrong side of history here. we can't be on the wrong side of love and commitment. but at the same time, i respect people who have a different opinion and i think it makes us healthy and stronger. we should be about inclusiveness, not being exclusive. >> i want to ask both of you about something else that happened today, and i'm going to throw this at you with a little bit of a surprise but it really caught my attention, people are watching at the top of our show
8:19pm
saw this. the use of the word "ass" in washington today. let me just play for you john boehner and harry reid. >> we have moved a bill in the house twice. we should not have to move a third bill before the senate gets off their ass and begins to do something. >> i was raised in a little town that had 13 brothels in it so i'm used to pretty salty language, as you know. but the speaker today said he's not that category, for sure, but boehner hopes senate gets off their ass. and it's quite interesting, we should not have to move a third bill before the senate gets off their ass and begins to do something. i think he should understand who is sitting on their posterior. >> the look on his face was absolutely priceless. tim, look, they talk like this
8:20pm
all the time but when this gets into the public discourse, use of a word like that, inappropriate or fine? >> the senate's controlled by democrats. they're the donkeys. that's an ass. i don't understand what the issue is. yeah, john boehner, we know that that's the kind of guy he is. we know how much -- he plays lots of golf, he drinks and he talks that way. >> ana, are you all right with john boehner using that, setting that tone, or not? >> listen, i'm all right with him being frustrated by the fact that nothing is getting done. i think they are reflecting what the american people feel, a great deal of frustration by the inaction in washington. so i would echo john boehner's words and say guys, get to it. of course, we had a contest between harry reid today and john boehner on who had the toughest, roughest childhood and heard the saltiest language growing up, whether you heard it in a bar or growing up in ohio or whether you heard it in a small town in nevada growing up
8:21pm
amongst brothels. i don't know. we may have to have a throw-down on that one. >> all i can say is please, harry, john, just get out of the sandbox. thanks to both of you. still to come, for the first time in 600 years, talk about tradition, a pope is stepping down. he will keep his name but will be called pope emeritus after he steps down as leader of the roman catholic church on thursday. he's going to change his wardrobe. so much of this is about pomp and circumstance. that's what makes a lot of organized religion. he will no longer be wearing the red shoes, opting for brown and dressing in white. what do the changes mean? it's the pomp and circumstance that can be fascinating.
8:22pm
i notice some people may say these changes are insignificant, color of the shoes, whatever, guys, but that's really significant, right? the red shoes? >> absolutely. look, everything in the catholic church particularly the things we are going to see together over the next couple of weeks, they all mean something and they're all tied to history. those red shoes go back hundreds of years. what they symbolize is the willingness to bleed, to suffer martyrdom for the church, for the gospel. that's what that represents. it is a prerogative of the pope to wear that alone, no one else in the church may wear those red shoes. so when benedict is no longer the pope, he has to give up the shoes but remember, john paul ii wore the red shoes for a couple weeks early on in his pontificate, then wore brown ones. the pope can really do what he wants. he's the supreme pontiff, the supreme ruler of the church and he kind of can make the rules himself and benedict made these himself today. >> interesting. although as you said, raymond, i say this, you know, can't change the doctrine, right? you do everything. >> can't do that. he can protect the doctrine but
8:23pm
not amend it. >> let me talk about one other thing. he wears a ring, fisherman's ring. describe it to me and why he's going to actually destroy it. it looks kind of fluorescent green or yellow on his finger. >> now, this goes back to 1265. pope clement iv referenced this ring in one of his letters to a nephew. it is the sign and seal of his office. when you look closely, you are seeing a picture there, it is a bas relief of st. peter leaning over the edge of the boat pulling in fish. this shows and indicates that the pope, whoever wears this ring, is the successor of st. peter, the first apostle. his name is emblazoned around the top of that bas relief and when each pope dies or in this case retires, they remove the ring from his hand, scratch the front of it, literally deface it in the sign of a cross, and smash it with a mallet so it can never be used again. it is a sign that his power, his authority in the church, is finished, extinguished.
8:24pm
usually they bury that ring with the pope. john paul ii's is in his casket. in this case i guess they will hold on to it. they put it in a satchel and it will eventually be buried with pope benedict but he will no longer be pope. >> now the cardinals during the preconclave period are not supposed to be campaigning but i would imagine that is what they're doing, fast and furiously, right? >> well, it's a quiet campaign. it's kind of a meet and greet. they look at each other from afar. i remember going to a horse auction when i was a kid. bear with me here. when you go to a horse auction you look at the horses' legs, their mouth, you read the press, you talk to the trainers but you don't talk to the horses. that's sort of the approach. at least that's what they're telling me. they don't go to the man they're directly thinking about who might be a candidate, they talk to friends, they talk to people who know them and begin to form an impression. is this the guy we need now. and that's how it happens. then they go into the conclave and vote.
8:25pm
the two-thirds majority, first man to get to the two-thirds majority is the next pontiff. >> thank you very much. i love it. the horse auction analogy. it is going to be like watching a horse race through the next few weeks. "outfront" next hundreds of people gathering to remember trayvon martin tonight. so we ask the question and answer it for you, where is the man who shot him tonight? plus, oscar pistorius charged with murder in the death of his girlfriend. why one of our legal analysts says the case may never go to trial. a hot air balloon carrying nearly two dozen tourists plummets to the ground. we have the footage. good morning, turtle. ♪ my friends are all around me ♪ my friends, they do surround me ♪ ♪ i hope this never ends ♪ and we'll be the best of friends ♪ [ male announcer ] introducing the reimagined 2013 chevrolet traverse. all set? all set. with spacious seating for up to eight. imagine that.
8:26pm
chevrolet. find new roads.
8:27pm
[ male announcer ] when you wear dentures you may not know it, but your mouth is under attack. food particles infiltrate and bacteria proliferate. ♪ protect your mouth, with fixodent. the adhesive helps create a food seal defense for a clean mouth and kills bacteria for fresh breath. ♪ fixodent, and forget it.
8:28pm
8:29pm
welcome backo the second half of "outfront." we start with stories we care about, where we focus on reporting from the front lines and we begin with dennis rodman. so he doesn't exactly have a reputation for finding common ground, i know. it might seem odd that the former nba star with his studded nose and tattooed body has gone to north korea to promote basketball diplomacy.
8:30pm
he's there to help run a basketball camp for kids. it's also going to be part of a tv show set to air on hbo. now, we spoke to rodman's agent, who said the former chicago bulls player is hoping to meet kim jong-un and spread the message of peace and love and not war. there are reports that kim is in fact a chicago bulls fan. so maybe rodman has a shot that the diplomats never had. more of your tax dollars out to sea. after two days and several hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on the unsuccessful search for a 29 foot sailboat carrying a couple and two children in distress, the coast guard in california suspended its mission. a commander tells cnn they're investigating all the possibilities, including a hoax. if it turns out to be a prank it may not be a surprise. in 2011 the coast guard counted 54 probable hoaxes nationwide, two of them alone costing $118,000. a republican lawmaker in texas has filed a bill that will make texas independence day, texas independence day, not
8:31pm
independence day, a tax free holiday for gun purchases. if the law passes, gun shop owners like jerry mccall, who owned texas guns in san antonio say they will sell more guns. on an average day, mccall says he sells $7,000 worth of guns and collects $600 in sales tax. while that would mean big savings for customers, it does translate to lost revenue for the state. think about it. hundreds of dollars in sales tax, multiplied by the more than 6,000 licensed firearms dealers in texas. you're talking about governor perry giving a big tax break. now please sit down. here's a story that will make you grateful for the people who only threaten your life by texting and driving. you know how when you visit a hospital you see this? they're everywhere. as we have been told for years, cell phone signals can interfere with feeding tubes, ventilators, pacemakers and dialysis machines. use your cell phone, you might kill someone. it turns out the people cavalierly playing with your life are the ones you trust the most. according to a new study, 55% of perfusionists, the people who run the heart and lung machines
8:32pm
during heart bypass surgery say they have texted, e-mailed and used their phones during a procedure. i've heard of routine surgery. this does, though, seem to be stretching it a bit. as far as i can tell, there are only a few reasons why you would need a cell phone in the o.r. one, you need to look up how to do your job. two, you can't stop sexting or three, you just can't pull yourself away from that rousing game of words with friends. perfusionists lawsuit uses all seven letters. it has been 572 days since the u.s. lost its top credit rating. what are we doing to get it back? with forced spending cuts set to take effect in four days, ben bernanke says the cuts would add a significant burden to the recovery. the congressional budget office says economic growth would take a hit of just over half a percent this year alone. now our fourth story "outfront," remembering trayvon martin. tonight hundreds of people are gathered in new york city to remember the 17-year-old one year after he was shot and killed by a florida neighborhood watchman, george zimmerman.
8:33pm
trayvon's parents attended the vigil at union square and observed a moment of silence just a few moments ago in memory of their son. george zimmerman says he shot trayvon martin in self-defense and zimmerman remains in florida, where david mattingly is tonight with the latest. david, you are obviously in sanford where this tragic incident happened a year ago today. what's happening there? >> reporter: erin, what we saw happening here tonight was very similar to what we saw in new york, very similar to what might be happening in other parts across the country tonight. people gathering to remember trayvon martin and what that moment meant to them. and here of course, hitting home in so many ways, not just geographically but here, that case exposed very open raw sentiment within the african community here in this city, that the police department was not providing them with an equal system of justice. now today, the city of sanford has a new police chief, an african-american. also today, city officials were
8:34pm
meeting with clergy from around the area, some from as far south as miami, talking about how to keep the peace. they were doing that with members of the community relations team from the justice department so they are now on this anniversary looking forward to those court dates coming up and knowing how personal and how deeply held the opinions are behind this case, trying to move forward from here. >> what can you tell us about george zimmerman? where is he? what's he doing? >> reporter: well, george zimmerman is confined on the geographical boundaries of seminole county. he can't leave the county. he is living in some undisclosed place in the county. he had to move from the house he was living in. he is still wearing a bracelet and has a curfew and is unemployed but he has two jobs. one is working on his defense and the other is trying to keep a low profile. there were death threats against
8:35pm
him. he was very concerned about his security and continues to be so. some of the biggest concerns that he and the people working with him have that he might be recognized when he goes out in public, and he does leave wherever he's living at this point, he does leave it sometime. when he does go out in public, the concern is that he might be recognized and someone follows him back home, they would have to find another place to live. so he is by no means a free man while this case is going on, and while he continues to be so widely recognized in this area. >> david mattingly, thank you very much, reporting from sanford, where there is a vigil. there is a vigil here in new york as well. jamie foxx, the actor, was speaking there just a moment ago. here is what he said. >> don't think about the color of the child. think about that child going to school. think about that child hanging out with his father, with his mom, skiing, skateboarding,
8:36pm
doing all these fun things that a 17-year-old child does, and then think about that child on his way home to see his father and all of a sudden, that child has his life taken from him. now we go to south africa where olympic star oscar pistorius is holding a private memorial service for reeva steenkamp, the girlfriend he is accused of intentionally murdering. pistorius has been charged with premeditated murder after shooting steenkamp in his home on valentine's day. he says it was a tragic accident. he shot her because he thought she was an intruder. pistorius is free on bail but the question tonight is whether this case will ever go to trial. jeffrey toobin says there's a strong likelihood it could end in a plea deal. he's "outfront" tonight. criminal defense attorney ann bremner is also with us. this is a case not just within the context of the fame of oscar pistorius, of the bizarreness of the case, the beauty of his girlfriend. in a country where domestic violence is an epidemic. it might never go to trial. >> that's right.
8:37pm
because the actual issues in the case are fairly narrow. we know how she died. we know who killed her. the only issue in the case is what was pistorius' intent, what was in his head. was he really shooting at an intruder, was he really engaged in domestic violence. that is something that i think both sides will worry that they are going to lose. in that case, plea bargains often happen. plea bargaining is part of american legal culture, also part of south african legal culture. this case seems right for one. >> why? what's weak about the prosecution case that makes you think that? >> because the idea that you might be looking for an intruder is credible in south africa. people have home invasions there. people protect their homes with guns. it is not a crazy idea. now, i think much of pistorius' story is crazy, the idea that he somehow didn't speak and didn't find her -- >> didn't notice her in the bed.
8:38pm
>> didn't notice she was gone. look, it's problematic. but both sides have a lot to lose if they go to trial, and pistorius i think when push comes to sve, there is a charge in south africa called culpable homicide, which is basically a negligent homicide that seems to fit this case fairly well, if you believe pistorius was looking for an intruder. a short prison sentence is something i bet he would take at this point. >> or even i guess you could have community service, technically, with that charge in south africa. ann, do you agree? >> well, i have great respect for jeff. he's fabulous. but i think, here's another side to this. i think that let's take a look at other celebrity type trials and whether or not they have resulted in plea bargains and they haven't. they tend to go to trial. casey anthony, scott peterson, robert blake, phil specter, michael jackson, o.j. simpson, martha stewart. even the lindbergh baby kidnapping.
8:39pm
why do they go to trial? it's because to get the real truth in a case like this, really get the truth, you need a courtroom. you need witnesses sworn. you need evidence, et cetera. and they tend to go that way. just looking at history, it seems to me we may well have a trial with oscar pistorius. the second part of it is we have to assume with a plea bargain if he will be offered a deal he can live with and i think based on the evidence and based on the improbabilities in his statement as the judge said, he may not get the offer he wants. >> one thing that all those cases she mentioned have in common is they were all within the united states of america. in south africa, you have a case that mark thatcher, prime minister thatcher's son, who was accused of fomenting a revolution abroad, got a very sweet plea bargain deal. the fact that it's a high profile case alone doesn't prevent a plea bargain from taking place. look, i think we don't know today the most important evidence in this case which is the forensic evidence. what do the ballistics show. >> we are able to find out for example was it a boom boom boom boom or was it a boom, wait, you would hear someone scream, boom.
8:40pm
>> was pistorius actually standing on his prosthesis because that would suggest he had time to prepare. that is a very significant fact. so there's more we need to know and there's more both sides will know. but if the evidence continues to be at least somewhat ambiguous, i think both sides have a lot to gain with a plea bargain. >> who ultimately if this goes to trial, obviously in south africa, a trial does not come with a jury, which could be good or could be bad, but goes to trial, who does that benefit the most? >> well, the judge is going to benefit the prosecution. i want to add on cases being in the u.s., amanda knox didn't have a plea deal. that was in italy. in the case in south africa just mentioned involving a relative of margaret thatcher, it was very murky and those often result in plea bargains but i think a trial, truly looking at the evidence in this case, will probably favor the prosecution given that the story that he has right now doesn't seem to even line up with the evidence. but let's say he can create
8:41pm
enough doubt, he can cry, he can talk about her dying in my arms and can do all the things that convinced another judge at a bail hearing to let him go, he may be able to convince another judge about doubt in this case and that it was an accident because only he knows. and reeva knows really what happened. >> thank you very much, both of you. we appreciate it. check out jeff's article in "the new yorker." a hot air balloon carrying tourists falls out of the sky. we have the horrific pictures. we all know someone who fought or died from breast cancer. we have new numbers about why more young victims in this country are being diagnosed now. [ female announcer ] from tracking the bus. ♪ to tracking field conditions. ♪ wireless is limitless. ♪ oh, hi thehey!ill. are you in town for another meeting? p, i brought my a-team. vo: business trips add up to family time. this is my family. this is joe. hi joe! hi there! vo: earn a ton of extra points with the double your hhonors promotion
8:42pm
and feel the hamptonality. it's lots of things. all waking up. connecting to the global phenomenon we call the internet of everything. ♪ it's going to be amazing. and exciting. and maybe, most remarkably, not that far away. we're going to wake the world up. and watch, with eyes wide, as it gets to work. cisco. tomorrow starts here. a confident retirement. those dreams have taken a beating lately. but no way we're going to let them die. ♪ ameriprise advisors can help keep your dreams alive
8:43pm
like they helped millions of others. by listening. planning. working one on one. that's what ameriprise financial does. and that's what they can do with you. that's how ameriprise puts more within reach. ♪ [ female announcer ] from more efficient payments. ♪ to more efficient pick-ups. ♪ wireless is limitless.
8:44pm
8:45pm
we're back with tonight's outer circle where we reach out to our sources around the world. tonight we go to egypt where there are conflicting reports over the safety record of a hot air balloon company that was an absolutely horrific crash that
8:46pm
happened. nearly two dozen tourists from around the world lost their lives. i asked what went wrong. >> reporter: this hot air balloon dropped 1,000 feet. to put it in perspective, new york's empire state building is roughly 1200 feet. 19 tourists killed, among them nine hong kong nationals, also british, japanese and french citizens. the crash took place in the city of luxor in southern egypt, site of some of egypt's most ancient ruins. the cause of the accident according to state media, an explosion of the flammable gas cylinder on board. officials say all hot air balloon rides will be grounded until the investigation is over. despite the tragedy, hot air balloon rides in egypt pretty safe, based on our research. this was the first fatal accident ever in egypt involving tourists. >> thank you. >> this story caught my
8:47pm
attention not just because i'm a woman. that's part of why. but because i know and a lot of people on the team know young women who are fighting breast cancer. a study released shows the number of women between the age of 25 and 39 getting diagnosed is going up. almost everyone in the country knows someone affected by this disease and the susan g. k oman foundation has this horrible statistic. in this country, one woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every three minutes. every 13 minutes, one of them dies. "outfront" tonight, dr. marissa white, who specializes in breast cancer treatment. this study shocked me and i just have to get to the bottom line of it. why the increase among young women because i know statistically it's significant, among young women in particular? >> yes. these are young women, mothers, daughters, sisters, precious lives at stake. we're seeing more breast cancer now than we have in the past. there are a lot of reasons for that. there are well-established risk factors that are more today than
8:48pm
before like early puberty, obesity, more women are drinking alcohol and drinking more of it. women are still smoking. we're more sedentary, not as physically active. fewer of us are having full term pregnancies and when we do, we tend to postpone them and not breast feed or only breast feed for a short period of time. pregnancy and breast feeding are protective. there are also emerging environmental concerns that we're really worried about. there are a lot of chemicals -- >> i want to ask about those. first, just to cut to the chase of something that you've been saying which is that only 10% of breast cancer is genetic. i didn't know that. i was shocked when i read that. you're saying 90% of it is not. that means we can control it, right? at least 90% of it.
8:49pm
>> your weight, how physically active you are, reproductive choices, things we can modify. but there is good news, which is that we are now getting more scientific evidence, proof that you can take steps today to lower your risk. the breast is the most common place for cancer to recur in a woman's body. there are steps to lower risks immediately. >> let me ask you about that. there's two areas. one when you hear -- i just saw this the other day. there's a way to charge your cell phone where you put it on the table and it gets a charge from the wall. you don't even have a plug. all the waves going through our body. am i just being scaredy cat or is this stimulus we're receiving
8:50pm
in the world part of the reason why? >> we need to look into all potential causes including radiation people are concerned about. we have solid evidence about well-established risks, things you can do in your everyday life like getting to and sticking to a healthy weight, exercising three to four hours a week. >> eliminating to fewer drinks per week, not smoking, avoiding extra hormones those are some well-established steps you can take to lower your risk. plus limiting your exposure to
8:51pm
things in the environment that could be hormonally active. >> thank you, we appreciate that. i want to put that on our website. but i want to tell you something that's just come in. sources telling us at the state department that the obama administration is moving toward increasing aid to the syrian opposition. in the form of nonlethal military equipment and military training. these changes are being talked about with allies right now as part of secretary of state john kerry's meetings in europe. the sources stress that the united states is not providing weapons to the rebels, an important distinction and one we'll see if it will last. last night we brought you a new story about a policy introduced by yahoo! ceo marisa mayer. employees won't be able to work from home any more. you were passionate about the subject. we included a poll on our "out front" blog ask you if you agree with the decision. there's been a back and forth on this poll all day. at the moment the yes side is winning. if you'd like to take a poll or add a comment of your own,
8:52pm
please do so. go to our blog. that was last night's essay. tonight's essay? it's next. and it's about the most unlikely menage a trois ever. this is my family. this is joe. hi joe! hi there! vo: earn a ton of extra points with the double your hhonors promotion and feel the hamptonality. britta olsen is my patient. i spend long hours with her checking her heart rate, administering her medication, and just making her comfortable. one night britta told me about a tradition in denmark, "when a person dies," she said, "someone must open the window so the soul can depart." i smiled and squeezed her hand. "not tonight, britta. not tonight." [ female announcer ] to nurses everywhere, thank you, from johnson & johnson. [ female announcer ] to nurses everywhere, i've always had to keep my eye on her... but, i didn't always watch out for myself. with so much noise about health care...
8:53pm
i tuned it all out. with unitedhealthcare, i get information that matters... my individual health profile. not random statistics. they even reward me for addressing my health risks. so i'm doing fine... but she's still going to give me a heart attack. we're more than 78,000 people looking out for more than 70 million americans. that's health in numbers. unitedhealthcare. at tyco integrated security, we consider ourselves business optihow?rs. by building custom security solutions that integrate video, access control, fire and intrusion protection. all backed up with world-class monitoring centers, thousands of qualified technicians, and a personal passion to help protect your business. when your business is optimized like that, there's no stopping you. we are tyco integrated security. and we are sharper. we replaced people with a machine.r,
8:54pm
what? customers didn't like it. so why do banks do it? hello? hello?! if your bank doesn't let you talk to a real person 24/7, you need an ally. hello? ally bank. your money needs an ally.
8:55pm
[ male announcer ] from the way the bristles move to the way they clean, once you try an oral-b deep sweep power brush, you'll never go back to a regular manual brush. its three cleaning zones with dynamic power bristles reach between teeth with more brush movements to remove up to 100% more plaque than a regular manual brush. and even 76% more plaque than sonicare flexcare in hard to reach areas. oral-b deep sweep 5000 power brush. life opens up when you do.
8:56pm
one of the wildest elections in italian history is finally over. it came down to one guy, the guy who inspired a group of topless female protesters to storm his polling station. that looks so inappropriate. shouting, enough, berlusconi, enough. that's right. it had been about silvio berlusconi's return to power. there's just one problem. he lost. when all the votes were count head finished with 31%. a strong showing but only good enough for second place. but still every headline is about sweet silvio. because sometimes you don't have to be first to be famous. even people who hate him, and there are a lot of them, want to read and hear about him. and this phenomenon where the winner is not the headline is not just in politics. from beginning to end it was all about one person -- danica. she won the pole, led a lap and had a good eighth place finish. even the headlines that actually
8:57pm
mentioned the winner -- i won't mention his name because you probably don't care because they mention danica. she's famous like silvio for her success, but she's also famous just because. the same sort of intangible that tiger woods has. when he was 2 years old he was wowing audiences and charming mike douglas. he had that hard-to-define "it" quality. even after he's eliminated in the first round of a tournament, even after his personal life imploded, he's still the one that gets all the attention. silvio, danica and tiger, they are hugely successful. what a threesome. they're not famous for something. but what really matters is that they have that something, that intangible something simply known as star power. people care about them. even when they lose, they're the ones we want to hear about. maybe that's a great gift or it leads to an intense stressful
8:58pm
life since you can't have any secrets. only perfection is enough. what would you think? would you trade places with one of the three? if i was to tell u that you would actually like bing way more than google when it came to the results? prove it. let's look up some taco places. i like the left side. yeah? okay, do we need to find out what the waves are like down at the beach? what side do you like better? i like the results on the right. i'm gonna go with the one on the left. oh! bing won! people prefer bing over google for the web's top searches. don't believe it? go to bingiton.com and see what you're missing. a body at rest tends to stay at rest... while a body in motion tends to stay in motion. staying active can actually ease arthritis symptoms. but if you have arthritis, staying active can be difficult. prescription celebrex can help relieve arthritis pain so your body can stay in motion. because just one 200mg celebrex a day can provide 24 hour relief
8:59pm
for many with arthritis pain and inflammation. plus, in clinical studies, celebrex is proven to improve daily physical function so moving is easier. celebrex can be taken with or without food. and it's not a narcotic. you and your doctor should balance the benefits with the risks. all prescription nsaids, like celebrex, ibuprofen, naproxen and meloxicam have the same cardiovascular warning. they all may increase the chance of heart attack or stroke, which can lead to death. this chance increases if you have heart disease or risk factors such as high blood pressure or when nsaids are taken for long periods. nsaids, including celebrex, increase the chance of serious skin or allergic reactions or stomach and intestine problems, such as bleeding and ulcers, which can occur without warning and may cause death. patients also taking aspirin and the elderly are at increased risk for stomach bleeding and ulcers. do not take celebrex if you've had an asthma attack, hives, or other allergies to aspirin, nsaids or sulfonamides. get help right away if you have swelling of the face or throat, or trouble breathing. tell your doctor your medical history. and find an arthritis treatment for you.